Author Topic: AD does not appear in list of VST's in DAW  (Read 8132 times)

AD does not appear in list of VST's in DAW
« on: December 30, 2011, 07:35:44 PM »
Okay so I downloaded the correct demo version of AD for my Windows 32bit OS on my laptop to see if I liked enough to buy the full version. I also downloaded the trial version of Reaper as my DAW.

The problem is that after installing both of them on my laptop and opening Reaper I click on "insert virtual instrument on new track" and click on VST and VSTi as well as doing a auto detect and additional scans with that software and Addictive Drums does not appear anywhere.

Can anyone field this newb question? Thanks.

Sean

Offline vaikl

Re: AD does not appear in list of VST's in DAW
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 08:51:30 PM »
Have you installed AD's plugin (the .dll file) in the right folder on your harddrive? Make shure that Reaper can see this folder as a directory for plugins or move the .dll file into the folder that Reaper has pre-configured for VST plugins. This setting can be found under Options/Plugins/VST.

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 12:59:31 AM »
I just had the same problem. Had AD working in Reaper for a day, then all hell broke loose and reaper refused to see AD. Tried moving the .dll file, renaming it, and the like and still no go. Did a complete uninstall/reinstall and still no go. Then I pointed Reaper to find the .dll in the Steinberg folder and voila! All is well. Ya might wanna give that a try! Look in program files(x86) for the Steinberg folder and open it. There should be a folder named VST plugins. Thats where my AD dll. file is located. I have no idea why it's there, as it's also in the XLN Audio/Addictive Drums/Sound Data/AD_1_1 folder, also located in the program files(x86) folder. Then direct Reaper to look there(Steinberg/VST plugins) in the VST options.   Good luck!!!
Currently the future is running a bit late..  Old kit: DM5 Pro cone-mesh conversion. DM10 & Yamaha DTX Module. Yamaha RHH-135 Roland PD-125...... New kit: DM10 Studio  Mesh. Strike Module and Hi-Hat. Hart Dynamics Accusnare...

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 01:22:31 AM »
@hockeyfan94:  On the same screen where you clicked "detect", there should be a button to ADD a path for VST files... add the path to the A/D dll and you should be all set.
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

Offline vaikl

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 11:47:18 AM »
Thats where my AD dll. file is located. I have no idea why it's there, as it's also in the XLN Audio/Addictive Drums/Sound Data/AD_1_1 folder, also located in the program files(x86) folder

It's there because Steinberg has invented the VST/VSTi system and for the first years all other plugin developers had to place their plugins exactly in *that* Steinberg/VST folder under C:Programs. This installation routines are maintained until now ;)

Today you can make your own VST folder (or many of them) and place them where you like them. A DAW must know about this place and ready you go...

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 04:45:25 PM »
I just had the same problem. Had AD working in Reaper for a day, then all hell broke loose and reaper refused to see AD. Tried moving the .dll file, renaming it, and the like and still no go. Did a complete uninstall/reinstall and still no go. Then I pointed Reaper to find the .dll in the Steinberg folder and voila! All is well. Ya might wanna give that a try! Look in program files(x86) for the Steinberg folder and open it. There should be a folder named VST plugins. Thats where my AD dll. file is located. I have no idea why it's there, as it's also in the XLN Audio/Addictive Drums/Sound Data/AD_1_1 folder, also located in the program files(x86) folder. Then direct Reaper to look there(Steinberg/VST plugins) in the VST options.   Good luck!!!

I found them in the Steinberg folder just like you said. I've pointed Reaper to directly read from the folder and like magic it works!

Now, can someone help me on how to setup AD or Reaper on how to start hearing my triggers via AD? Do I have to do anything in my module, change outputs, etc. in order for this to work?

« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 04:56:40 PM by hockeyfan94 »

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 05:05:02 PM »
Oh boy... I wish I could tell you, but it's very confusing the first time you do it, and I "found" it myself by just trying and trying everything, and reading online, watching videos, etc.

Make sure that the MIDI output setting is turned on (or set to "yes")... can't recall, and don't have my module to look at.   :(

Then, you have to "add" a track, and select the Addictive Drums for the track.

You may also have to "add" in the Midi Mapper, and then set the notes on your map to match the outputs of the DM10.

Then, make sure the "IN" and the "OUT" on the DAW is set correctly, sending the sound "Out" to your audio output on either the PC or the external audio device (in my case, it was my Tascam US1800).

Sorry I can't be more clear, but it's all very fuzzy to me still, because I'm pretty new to setting up a DAW, too.
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

Offline vaikl

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 05:14:07 PM »
I found them in the Steinberg folder just like you said. I've pointed Reaper to directly read from the folder and like magic it works!

Now, can someone help me on how to setup AD or Reaper on how to start hearing my triggers via AD? Do I have to do anything in my module, change outputs, etc. in order for this to work?

Now that you've managed to put sound on a track, it's time for the MIDI part. If you have connected the module via USB, there should be an entry like "USB audo device" in the list of MIDI devices in Reaper. Don't get fooled by the "audio" in the name, it's a bug in Windows ;)

If it's there, assign it as a MIDI In device to that AD track. Set the MIDI channel to "Any" or "All". If you hadn't changed anything in the MIDI setup of the module, you don't need to right now. Arm the track and play your kit.

Note: You should switch the module on before starting Reaper.

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 05:18:22 PM »

Now that you've managed to put sound on a track, it's time for the MIDI part. If you have connected the module via USB, there should be an entry like "USB audo device" in the list of MIDI devices in Reaper. Don't get fooled by the "audio" in the name, it's a bug in Windows ;)

If it's there, assign it as a MIDI In device to that AD track. Set the MIDI channel to "Any" or "All". If you hadn't changed anything in the MIDI setup of the module, you don't need to right now. Arm the track and play your kit.

Note: You should switch the module on before starting Reaper.

I think I'm getting somewhere. HAHA. I now have sound by stumbling across it prior to reading your message.

Two other things. 1. My hi-hat and cymbal are reversed for some reason when I trigger them through AD. Is there a way to swap them around?

2. I know vtdrummer had mentioned the latency issue, but is there a way to mess around with any setting to try to bring the latency issue down?

Update: I changed the mapping to my module within AD. This is really not that intuitive. :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 05:31:40 PM by hockeyfan94 »

Offline vaikl

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 05:30:03 PM »
Two other things. 1. My hi-hat and cymbal are reversed for some reason when I trigger them through AD. Is there a way to swap them around?

2. I know vtdrummer had mentioned the latency issue, but is there a way to mess around with any setting to try to bring the latency issue down?

Go to the Beat tab, you'll see a row with "Map preset", a pull-down menu and a "Map window button" on the right side above the mixer channels. By opening the pull-down menu you should see entries for some edrum brands, including an Alesis submenu. Load an entry of this submenu.

If this doesn't help or if the maps are missing in the demo, open the Map window and then - it's time for reading the AD manual ;D

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 05:33:30 PM »
@hockeyfan94:  re: latency... There is, but I cannot recall where, sorry.  I switched to Cubase with the Tascam, and latency was no longer an issue, so I cannot recall in reaper where it is.

There is also a "Map" that you can load, and change things around, so that you can trigger correctly, OR... you can change the note that your DM10 outputs, but I'd make sure to write down what it WAS before you change it...  ;)

Offline vaikl

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 07:25:38 PM »
Almost every Win based audio interface comes with a system utility or app to customize it. There you can experience with the audio buffer size - the amount of audio data that will be pre-fetched by the audio interface before digital<->analog converting and transmitting into or from a DAW.

The lower the audio buffer size, the lower the overall latency. But every system has it's own borders, so lowering too much can cause crackles, pops or glitches in your audio stream. Just play with the buffer settings until you'll have a aound performance without distortions.

Offline inconn

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 06:07:38 AM »
Get Asio4All.
I am running AD in Reaper on 64 samples (that's as low as it goes) without a hitch on my HP 8460p.

Pretty sweet :)

Offline Met

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 11:56:58 AM »
Yes Asio4All is a definite, must have Software that some, If not, Most of us use to get a decent latency in D.A.W Softwares and Asio4All its legally free unless you prefer audio interfaces which will cost you, but is able to produce a lower latency.

Like vtdrummer suggested, doing some research about these things are really helpful for making you understand the basics of how D.A.W and Midi works.

As for reaper, audio settings should be in options or preference and also try clicking the audio status, same column as the, File/Edit/View tabs, Below the minimise/maximise/close buttons to refresh midi devices or drivers if you encounter dropouts, it may help.
http://i1-win.softpedia-static.com/screenshots/REAPER_1.png

Offline vaikl

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 02:53:11 PM »
Keep in mind that ASIO4ALL is a replacement for the crappy Windows driver model only. A bad audio hardware, a unready DAW or a corrupt plugin will destroy the advantages of it nearly complete.

Some hardware manufacturers have good audio drivers too, also based on Steinberg's ASIO. It's best to try the dedicated drivers first and later check ASIO4ALL, if there are issues.

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 12:35:27 PM »
Oh boy... I wish I could tell you, but it's very confusing the first time you do it, and I "found" it myself by just trying and trying everything, and reading online, watching videos, etc.

Make sure that the MIDI output setting is turned on (or set to "yes")... can't recall, and don't have my module to look at.   :(

Then, you have to "add" a track, and select the Addictive Drums for the track.

You may also have to "add" in the Midi Mapper, and then set the notes on your map to match the outputs of the DM10.

Then, make sure the "IN" and the "OUT" on the DAW is set correctly, sending the sound "Out" to your audio output on either the PC or the external audio device (in my case, it was my Tascam US1800).

Sorry I can't be more clear, but it's all very fuzzy to me still, because I'm pretty new to setting up a DAW, too.

I'm becoming increasingly more frustrated as minutes go by now that I have everything I need and still can't find resolution. lol.

I found the midi out that you were referring to in the Cubase listed under the device setup tab along the top.

Now when the "device setup" dialog box appears I have two places that I can see I maybe able to configure the midi out.

Under the Midi Port setup it shows the TASCAM 800 there but inactive. Whereas if I go under VST audio system it just shows my laptop speakers as being the output.

There is an option within the "VST audio system" to change drivers. When I select the TASCAM driver cabase will error out and not allow me to change it.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 05:00:26 PM »
Under the Midi Port setup it shows the TASCAM 800 there but inactive. Whereas if I go under VST audio system it just shows my laptop speakers as being the output.

There is an option within the "VST audio system" to change drivers. When I select the TASCAM driver cabase will error out and not allow me to change it.

The TASCAM should not be setup as a MIDI device unless you have connected the module via MIDI cables to it. If the DM10 module is connected as usual via USB directly to the PC, then something like "USB audio device" (under Windows; it's a naming error) should be seen and that MIDI port is the DM10.