Author Topic: DM10 Studio w/ Mesh Head Conversion  (Read 8038 times)

DM10 Studio w/ Mesh Head Conversion
« on: March 18, 2011, 03:09:44 PM »
Did the Alxmonkey Mesh Head Conversion as soon as I got my 2011 DM10.

http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=444.0

All the heads are Roland and the kick has a Remo Falam Slam patch for additional reinforcement. I find the patch also removes some of the rebound. 

I use this with Superior Drummer 2 and BFD2 so I've wired an audio jack extension from my computers interface to the snare arm.

As far as cables are concerned I took everything out the wire wrap and reassigned each of the cables to make the most out of their respective lengths. I also grabbed a roll of velcro tape to replace the cable tidies that came with the kit.

Everything works really well after a couple days of tweaking the module and creating keymaps. :D

Anyways check it out:

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 07:37:46 PM by rkyrmsr »

Online Hellfire

Re: DM10 Studio w/ Mesh Head Conversion
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 03:56:31 PM »
Looks good. At first glance it looks like a Roland TD-9 kit. :D

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 09:22:11 AM »
Do you think it would make sense to do this conversion but put a layer of funky foam 3mm ontop of the black foam with the hole in it to protect the piezo?
Alesis DM10 Studio /w pearl mesh heads, Alesis Trigger I/O, Mapex Falcon double pedal, Roc N Soc throne, Vic Firth sticks, Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry expansion, Sonar 1x Studio

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules"

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 07:34:56 PM »
Do you think it would make sense to do this conversion but put a layer of funky foam 3mm ontop of the black foam with the hole in it to protect the piezo?

Yeah, should work equally as well sensitivity-wise. Funky Foam is really cheap too so there's no harm in trying it. That said, the extra padding will probably increase the acoustic noise.

Personally, I don't really worry too much about breaking the heads seeing as I feel it's kinda unnecessary on an electric kit to be hitting with enough force to rip through a head and destroy a piezo lol. The only drum I'm remotely aggressive with is the kick, which I simply reinforced with a kevlar patch.

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 10:01:04 AM »
Ya i know they shouldnt be hit that hard but shit happens and I like to prepare for every possible senario. I got the funky foam and my mesh heads should be in today so I will give it a try and report back if anyone is intrested.
Alesis DM10 Studio /w pearl mesh heads, Alesis Trigger I/O, Mapex Falcon double pedal, Roc N Soc throne, Vic Firth sticks, Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry expansion, Sonar 1x Studio

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 12:25:17 PM »
Yes,  please report back if you can.  Also,  let us know what method you used to convert to mesh.  Did you rearrange the innards?  Did you have to re-wire the input?

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 03:41:49 PM »
So I did alxmonkeys conversion and it works great! I did try to add the funky foam ontop of the black foam with the hole in it but it was pretty nosiy as some said it would be so i didnt do that. Just did it the way alxmonkey did and it is so quiet i cant even believe it. Almost no acustic noise at all. Highly recommend this method.

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 03:44:30 PM »
No rewiring required. Just white foam on bottom. Then the plate with the piezon facing up and the black ring foam on top and then the mesh head. I did have to cut the black ring foam to get it out but not a big deal. I used the pearl mesh heads and they play great and are very inexpensive. This is the way to go for sure.

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 03:45:56 PM »
LOL i meant piezo not piezon. Please dont try to put an Italian guy in your drums.

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 07:23:53 PM »
So I did alxmonkeys conversion and it works great! I did try to add the funky foam ontop of the black foam with the hole in it but it was pretty nosiy as some said it would be so i didnt do that. Just did it the way alxmonkey did and it is so quiet i cant even believe it. Almost no acustic noise at all. Highly recommend this method.

Lol nice one. How are you finding the kick rebound? At its tightest I found myself doing unintentional rolls with one foot haha.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:04:51 PM by rkyrmsr »

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 09:26:24 AM »
I left the kick fairly loose for that reason. I will probably end up putting a patch on it for reinforcement.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 02:00:44 PM »
Looks good!

you're going to love those Roland heads.  That's what I have and they are bullet proof!  :)

Offline BH

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 09:28:19 PM »
Very Nice rkyrmsr!! 8)