Author Topic: Alesis DM8 USB - issues! please help  (Read 1989 times)

Alesis DM8 USB - issues! please help
« on: January 04, 2013, 11:02:28 PM »
Just purchased a DM8 USB kit, and am having issues from the getgo.

1) Nearly every time I turn the module on, the hi hat trigger is engaged, and making a sound like it is "sizzling" or just being hit repeatedly while all the way open.  Even after repeated calibration and unplugging/plugging in the hi hat pedal, it still takes several power offs/ons to fix this problem.

2) The ride bell has stopped working.  Cannot get it back no matter what I try.

3) The snare rim has stopped working.  See #2.

I'm starting to think these were a huge waste of money.  Are the DM10 kits any better in terms of reliability? I can't afford even the low level roland kits, and I just want something that works like it is supposed to.  I was originally looking at the DM10 kits and I haven't found anyone complaining of major issues with them.  I've also read nothing but horror stories about Alesis' RMA process, so I'd like to avoid that at all costs.  Any suggestions on how I can fix any of my problems without having to activate my warranty?  Thanks.

EDIT: Fixed the snare rim, but only on the back side.  Anywhere near the front and both the rim and the pad trigger at the same time.  Have adjusted all the numbers on the rim sensor, with no effect.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 11:19:49 PM by darthballs »

Offline MechanEvil

Re: Alesis DM8 USB - issues! please help
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 01:20:04 AM »
Wow, sounds like you got a lemon! That shouldn't happen with the kit.

Not sure where you've been reading the horror stories, but since you just bought the kit, take it back to the store and ask that they fix it! Alternatively, shoot Alesis an email or call them and things will be made right.

- Jimmy Rage
Warrior poet, guitar vocalist bassist drummer
... and inventor of the three-legged setup

Offline Trondster

Re: Alesis DM8 USB - issues! please help
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 01:09:21 PM »
Could it be that you have the hihat and crash cymbals reversed?

Regarding the snare rim and ride bell - have a look at the ext trigger settings - try fiddling with the sensitivity.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.