Author Topic: Alesis MultiMix usb 2.0 versus Firewire connection  (Read 2871 times)

Offline KnipeDrums

Alesis MultiMix usb 2.0 versus Firewire connection
« on: May 09, 2011, 06:48:13 AM »
I have been searching and trying to do some homework related to the USB and Firewire Mixers from Alesis. I know the USB 2.0 seriies can record on all tracks simultaneously. I am wondering whether anyone knows if the firewire series Multimix does the same?

I am currently using the Alesis MultiMix 8 USB 1.1 series, it only allows recording on 2 tracks, I want to upgrade to the new a new mixer that has either the usb 2.0 or firewire interface. Anyone that has made this switch or has one of the newer mixers with any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom

I am currently looking at  good deal for a Multimix 12 firewire mixer but want to make sure that it will record on all channels before I pull the trigger. Or mayber I should bite the bullet and purchase one of the 2.0 series mixers. I am going to re purpose the 1.1 series as my field recording interface for  myvideo recording setup.
Yamaha DtxTreme 3, Roland SPD30

www.KnipeDrums.com
www.DTXDrummers.com

Offline vaikl

Re: Alesis MultiMix usb 2.0 versus Firewire connection
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 03:20:51 PM »
The MultiMix FW mixer series sends all channels over FireWire, so it's the same functionality as the newer USB 2 versions.

But keep in mind that a FireWire setup is a little more "sensitive" than a classical USB setup. Even if the mixers have two FW plugs, another FW device like a harddrive chained on the same channel isn't really recommended. And if you have a Texas Instrument FW chip in your computer, you would mostly be hassle-free. Otherwise... nobody can give you a guarantee.

Offline KnipeDrums

Re: Alesis MultiMix usb 2.0 versus Firewire connection
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 06:29:14 AM »
Thanks for the reply, I think I am safer going the usb 2.0 series of mixers. I wanted to go with the 12 channel but will settle for the 8 instead. The functionality is much more important. Thanks again, Tom
Yamaha DtxTreme 3, Roland SPD30

www.KnipeDrums.com
www.DTXDrummers.com